If you work in any of these professions, beware the air you breathe.

Animal Kennels & Clinics

[picapp align=”none” wrap=”false” link=”term=veterinarian&iid=181514″ src=”0177/0f5dcae7-0535-4b5e-84e9-ab9f582bf1ce.jpg?adImageId=12581095&imageId=181514″ width=”380″ height=”253″ /]

Working with animals can be a highly rewarding profession, but it can also be highly volatile for your respiratory system. Dog and cat dander and hair in the air could lead to occupational asthma down the road, and the cleaning products used to maintain a sterile environment in veterinary clinics often contain toxic chemicals such as chlorine compounds, formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde, phenols, hydrogen peroxide, peracetic acid and even ozone. These can be extremely hazardous to workers, as well as the animals.

Cleaning products aren’t the only cause of respiratory troubles in animal kennels and clinics. Kennel cough, a common upper-respiratory disease, often spreads quickly through densely populated kennels and clinics where multiple cats and dogs are housed. Kennel cough is caused by an airborne bacterial organism, a volatile organic chemical.

Odors are often an issue in areas where multiple animals are housed — from the food they eat to their excrements, smells are part and parcel when dealing with animals; but they don’t have to be.

Keep your animal kennel or clinic sterile and fresh with an air purification system from Electrocorp. The I-6500 Series and RSU 20 units are ideal for kennels and clinics to eliminate odors and clear the air of harmful toxins.  

Asbestos & Mold Remediation

For construction workers and building maintenance employees, asbestos and mold remediation are a constant concern. Long-term exposure to asbestos could lead to asbestosis, mesothelioma and even lung cancer. You might not feel it immediately after exposure, but asbestos fibers having lodged themselves in the soft tissue of your lungs and are slowly building up until the lining becomes scarred and inflamed. Asbestos was used in nearly all building construction prior to the 1970s, and still exist in buildings today. Asbestos ceilings and tile are common in older homes and offices and workers who are exposed to such materials run the risk of seriously damaging their lungs and respiratory systems.

Mold is also a major concern for building maintenance crews and anyone living or working in an area of extreme humidity and where flooding is common. Mold are fungi that tend to grow best in warm, damp and humid conditions. They spread via airborne mold spores and can survive in the harshest conditions. Mold spores can be extremely dangerous when inhaled. For those already suffering from obstructive lung disease, mold has been documented to case mold infections in their lungs. In general, mold can cause upper respiratory irritation (sneezing, coughing, shortness of breath, fever, as well as eye and skin irritation).

Farmers are known to suffer from mold irritation due to working with moldy hay on a daily basis, especially in enclosed spaces such as silos and barns.  

For severe asbestos & mold remediation to protect both building occupants and workers, Electrocorp suggests their AirMarshal unit as well as their Air Rhino 2000.

Beauty Salons & Spas

They are there to make us feel refreshed, beautiful and rejuvenated, but in reality they could be shortening our lives and making us extremely unhealthy. Beauty salons, nail salons and spas deal with noxious fumes and toxic chemicals every day. Just walking past a nail salon fills your nose with pungent odors similar to that in an auto body paint shop – and really it’s not all that different.

Nail salons are, perhaps, the worst offender of the beauty bunch. Workers are exposed to high levels of nitrocellulose, methacrylate polymers and vinyl polymer, formaldehyde, acetates, ketones, alcohols and methyl methacrylate. From nail polish to adhesives, the materials handled in nail salons are nothing short of toxic, and workers (and clients) are breathing it all in every day. In a poorly ventilated nail salon, workers are at risk for developing skin and eye irritation, breathing difficulties and recurring headaches. There have also been studies done to further investigate the increased risk of breast cancer in nail salon workers.  Their high level of acute health problems is alarming and not something that should be ignored by salon owners or workers. Proper exhaust vents near work stations and general salon ventilation is a must.

Hair salon and spa workers are also at risk due to chemicals used in their beauty treatments. Hair relaxers and coloring agents are loaded with toxic chemicals. The main ingredient in lye hair relaxers, sodium hydroxide, is the principal chemical found in drain cleaners. No-lye relaxers are more commonly made up of guanidine hydroxide and is just as damaging as lye relaxers, despite what most people think. Hair dyes contain must contain a color and a developer, and the developer is the problem causer. Usually made up of a combination of peroxide and ammonia, developers can cause strong allergic reactions on the scalp and irritate the respiratory system while resting on the hair. There are also types of hair dye that contain harmful petrochemicals as well which can be just as harmful.

Beauty salons & spas are supposed to be a place to escape from the madness and stress of ever day life, and yet they could be causing your body more harm than good. Workers at these establishments are at a higher risk and so a proper ventilation system is needed to keep everyone healthy. Electrocorp recommends the RAP Series of air purifiers to properly clear the air of toxins and strong odors in these spaces.

[picapp align=”none” wrap=”false” link=”term=nail+salon&iid=205231″ src=”0201/c9f015b3-e040-4fcd-b0e5-fd009093f6fc.jpg?adImageId=12581075&imageId=205231″ width=”338″ height=”506″ /]

Advertisements